Thursday, January 22, 2009

In our JOURNEY treasures are sometimes taken....enjoy them before they leave...

Reflections
Great Grandma Butler-Swenson gets lots of love from family

Grandma Swenson-Butler has a tumor in her stomach that has been growing non stop...her abdomen appears to be nine months pregnant ...and counting... due to her very large tumors. It is hard for us to watch her go through so much pain and discomfort. I will continue enjoying her while she is with us. I have very fond memories of my grandma who once lived across the street where I grew up, I love the advice she gave me, the warm arms that embraced me and the kind, patient loving example she has shared over the many years I have known her. My amazing grandma has always had a room just for genealogy...what a passion she has for it too! When she moved into an assisted living a few years ago, with two rooms...she chose to have her bedroom in the kitchen area and the bedroom was made into her very own genealogy office....I adore her for her passion! Go Grandma! My grandma has always been there for me when I needed her...I cleaned her house several years before college....starting at the age of 11. This woman taught me about makeup and shared much of her own. I love listening to her stories and can't seem to give her enough hugs!

The loss of a Best friend

Today was a hard day...My mom lost her first cousin and her dearest best friend. Julie Larsen has been my mom's friend ever since I have known my mom. Julie even dormed with my mom in college...they shared their lives together and I have seen so much goodness come from their great relationship. Julie died from the same disease that my mom has...pulmonary fibrosis. Julie was a remarkable lady and she will be missed dearly. During her last days, my mom helped her do mountains of wash that piled up, she helped take care of her, she washed and styled her hair. I love the bond that these women had. I know my mom will miss her tremendously. I am grateful I can still enjoy the time that I can with my mom...even if it is during trials such as these...what a great blessing it is to be able to share the good and bad times. As long as it is together. My heart is full of gratitude for the people that come and go from our lives...the people that nurture us and lead us along the way....those that love us and stand by our sides throughout this journey.

Being together...makes the journey

Mom, Brooklyn, Me & Brittney

My mom has 5 plots just a few feet away from Julie...someday she will join her. I know that someday they will reunite. In the meantime I will enjoy my mom and be grateful that she is a part of me.
President Monson said it best, "there is no tomorrow if we don't do something today." Send that note to a friend you've been neglecting, give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say "I love you" more, always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than the person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up,loved ones pass on. It's so easy to take others for granted, until that day when their gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of "what if" and "if only" said, Harriet Beecher Stowe. The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.
May the Lord watch over me as I adapt changes in my life, and realize what is most important, try to remember to express gratitude always in this life, and hopefully I can continually seek finding joy in the journey that lies ahead.